Форуми / Cotonti / Localization / Transifex translation service

Using transifex to manage localization updates

Trustmaster
#37162 05.03.2013 20:00

As you might know, localization process is not (yet) automated in Cotonti and it is uncomfortable for some translators. I was recently pointed at Transifex service and also came across it several times and it seems that it's getting more and more popular. The advantages of this service for us are:

• Online editing of translations only, no need to mess with code.
  • Monitoring of translation progress.
  • Online collaboration.
  • Translation memory database.
  • Automatic suggestions.
  • Tracking changes between releases.

So I decided to give it a try and created a project for us: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/cotonti/

Our language files are organized in a more advanced way than in most systems, our language files are modular and spread around many folders, so I had to write some helper tools first: https://github.com/trustmaster/cotlang. I used those tools to separate language files from the source tree and to create Transifex configuration.

I have uploaded RU and NL locales so far and found several problems while uploading our language files. Although most language strings were handled fine, here are the problems that I have detected:

• Formal/informal locales are not supported.
  • Syntax with array() like $L['cfg_adminemail'] = array('Administrator\'s email', 'Required'); is not supported.
  • Syntax with multiple indexes like $themelang['usersprofile']['Emailpassword'] = 'Your current password'; is not supported.
  • Syntax with strings consisting of multiple lines (ending with end-of-line) is not supported.

So if we want our translations to be handled by Transifex, then we need to make changes to our current PHP code and language strings to make all language entries flat.

I have added Russian and Dutch translations so far, let me know if you want to give it a try and send me your username on Transifex and I'll add you to the appropriate team.

Please let me know what you think about the service and the idea of migration to it to handle translations and translation updates.

May the Source be with you!