Let's make this topic the place to gather oppinions on what the new/future/better commenting system should look like....
First of all some improvements to the existing code, if code is kept:
- make it templateable (only username is given to the xTemplate, should have at least the amount of tags that exist in the forum.posts code. My vote is that a forum post and a page post should not be/look different.
- make it count somewhere (again if you have pagecount plugins for whatever reasons (people downloading stuff, access to new categories, whatever) you could give your users actual reason to comment, but maybe to just have a bigger number in the "comments count")
- gravatar support (or even integration with cotonti avatars??) - more gravatar ideas in the next section
- AJAX EDIT COMMENTS: http://www.raproject.com/wordpress/wp-ajax-edit-comments/
(would make things so much easier)
(omg i would merry people for this functionality, perhaps even cron-ed to a 3 month period on when it would mail the user if he didnt register yet that THANK YOU AGAIN AND COME VISIT THE SITE AGAIN...)
- Post Comments Via AJAX -> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/moojax-comment-posting/
(mootools, sorry Vlad)
- even better avatar support for guests -> http://kamajole.dk/plugins/mbla/
(combining mybloglog and gravatar)
- even better seditio/cotonti integration -> if registered user's email contains a gravatar and he didnt upload one, get it and apply it to his account. This could even be done on registration.add.done!
FOR PEOPLE THAT ADMIRE THE WAY DRUPAL/WORDPRESS WORKS
- threaded comments (while i'm aware that it's a 50/50 thing it's a clear way to see what replies go where, but in any case, this is the CODE -> http://meidell.dk/archives/2006/12/19/brians-threaded-comments-159/)
- subscribing to comments (http://www.theblog.ca/?p=21 what a great idea)
- Publish The Commenter's Latest Headline (a way to say thank you for commenting -> http://www.fiddyp.co.uk/commentluv-wordpress-plugin/)
- list recent comments (http://freepressblog.org/wordpress-plugins-2/wordpress-recent-comments-plugin-widget/)
I'm sure there a lots more! Your thoughts?