As I have mentioned in Siena Alpha
topic, we have a proposal to maintain official langpacks via our central repository. We already made such attempts before, but as you can see
there wasn't enough effort.
The proposal actually means this:
- Translators will be given write access to our SVN repository to maintain their language packages there
- All the official languages will be included in international Siena builds
What benefits it gives:
- If more than 1 person work on the same language pack, then version control system makes it easier to work together and sync changes.
- You can use diff tools to see changes between revisions.
- It is easier to get language packs packaged together when they are centralized.
What the difficulties are:
- Translators will have to learn using SVN
- It takes some time to get used to it
We also need to decide about one thing: the location where langpacks are maintained. Originally we set up branches/langpacks folder for this purpose. Alternatively, they can be maintained in trunk as the core en/ru locales are (which are most actively developed).
So let's see what you think about it.