Форумы / Cotonti / Extensions / Work In Progress - Events\Calendar Update

An updated Events\Calendar plugin

MIHDev
#27220 22.11.2010 03:42
Hi Kort,

Your points are completely valid and I have taken them on-board before starting the upgrades. I do however feel my thoughts are also valid and I should outline them.

The expansions I am making are to help me get back into programming PHP and Cotonti of which I had worked for 7 years with its original base Seditio and LDU, there is nothing monsterous about it, I have actually almost reduced the number of lines in the code and simplified things, while I agree some features may or may not be useful to everyone I do bring 10 years of programming for both multi-billion dollar corporate clients and personal clients including companies who deal with events and event management and their requirements into my thought process when developing or upgrading plugins. I do not however insist on telling people all of that as it just means that I come across as rude, obnoxious and appear to tout myself as the best thing since sliced bread of which I am none of the above, I am simply a person who loves programming and put my heart into my life and my work.

Everything I am adding is switchtable at the click of a simple Radio Button, thus it can be as simple or complicated as the client requires and is fully documented therefore no confusion should arise.

To my mind nothing about the original calendar or events plugins were complicated as in 7 years I do not recall anyone asking for help on how they worked or functioned, I helped setup many clients on them and they were also utilised in LDU and Seditio by many sites. Much of the functionality was originally built into the LDU core and then ported out of the core to make it more flexible for people to upgrade them.

Your work is very impressive and I cannot fault it however sometimes things have to be seen from the non-corporate business angle and more from a community angle as money is not everything and not everyone is a developer of which there is no doubt that you are certainly talented.
One of the biggest things that made LDU and Seditio popular were that people could expand the plugins and make their site 'Their own' with plenty of people keen to help them make that possible easily and quickly and ultimately all in the spirit of free and open-source development.

I think everything can have a use for someone and all the things I add are from my years working with clients and developing solutions for them both generic and specific.
I think a key element you must take note of is negativity, just because you think it may have no use or is in your mind a waste of time does not necessarily mean that is the view of everyone, sometimes showing people a little support is not a bad thing especially in a community where many people are new to the system and\or want to learn about it. It is not a criticism but a suggestion that negative comments and posts all the time are not great for making people want to learn more about programming and/or Cotonti or morale.

A key element I was always taught when working on programs is to have 'No time for negativity', there will always be those who disagree and those who agree, a key example is Microsoft, when Bill Gates first showed Windows they told him his system sucked, laughed at him and said nobody wanted it and yet 25 years later it is still going strong and has one of the largest highly productive developer communities in the world. I am not criticising you but from a business perspective, the lesson his competitors learned was, if you say your way is 'The only way' or 'The best way' or 'Look how easily I can do this, why can't you?' the more people are driven away because they feel threatened, pressured and belittled and thus are less likely to use the product of the person or company who made them feel that way.

Those are just my thoughts.
[b]Know the question and you will be far more likely to get an answer.[/b]
Отредактировано: MIHDev (22.11.2010 06:58, 13 лет назад)