I've made a simple script which is useful to convert many files from one encoding to another at once. It was originally used to convert skins to UTF-8, but you can use it for other aims too.
How to use it:
1. Put it somewhere on your site (or localhost), e.g. site root
2. Edit configuration in header:
- $source_folder - files will be collected from this path (non-recursively)
- $target_folder - converted files will be put in this folder
- $extensions - list of extensions for files to convert, separated with pipe (|) sign
- $source_encoding - source encoding name, e.g. ISO-8859-1
- $target_encoding - target encoding name, e.g. UTF-8
3. Make sure your $target_folder is writeable for the script (often means chmod 777). It is strongly recommended that $target_folder is not the same as $source_folder and is some temporary location.
4. Run http://your_site/your_folder/skinvertor.php
5. Take the converted files from $target_folder