How should Cotonti 0.9.x connect compatibility layer for 0.6.x plugins?

33.3% 5
66.7% 10
0% 0

15 Datum 2010-08-16 17:27

Forums / Cotonti / Core Labs / Archive / Poll: Old plugins compatibility layer in Siena

Implementation details

Kort
#25691 2010-08-16 20:56
Imho Siena could be a good milestone to discard most current Cotonti plugins, for most of them are not made properly, do not function properly, are not supported and are basically old-type Seditio stuff brought into Cotonti as is without using its advanced plugin facilities.
As you rightfully noticed, upgrading a plugin to the Siena standard takes absolutely reasonable 15-60 minutes. So any adequately thinking plugin maker can easily add another half an hour (@ most) to add Cotonti-specific features (i.e. autoinstaller), check for the available functions that can reduce the plugin code & review the code in general, fillout technical info (version #, date, author) and at least test it over again to make sure it runs. This way we could, after sometime, have an ordered repository of proven plugins and filter off the useless rubbish.
I know that this could be a radical offer, but what are we gonna lose? The plugins that do not work anyway? Maybe DonP would ultimately switch over to a different CMS. Otherwise starting from scratch would only bring benefits, clean code, stable & usable modules. And, ultimately, some fresh blood.
My vote is NEITHER.
SED.by - создание сайтов, разработка плагинов и тем для Котонти