Forums / Cotonti / General / Future Genoa

Trustmaster
#31999 2011-12-12 16:13

Let's make it clear. First, a few facts:

• This projects has been around for 3 years.
  • Siena in particular has been in progress for 2 years.
  • We stopped making major changes in Genoa a year ago.
  • Genoa support will be continued as long as there are sites demanding it.
  • Siena is mostly aimed at new projects and tries to follow modern trends in web development.
  • Genoa is aimed at long-existing sites which follow the LDU/Seditio path.
  • We don't enforce migration from Genoa to Siena unless it is really necessary or beneficial.

There is an important and contradictory thing about Genoa: users request changes and no changes at the same time. We got many complaints that there are too many Genoa releases (about 15 by then, 21 by now) and we should better stop changing it and leave the plugin and skin developers some space to breathe. We did, we left the core alone and let the plugin and skin developers do what they want knowing that the core doesn't change. Now there are complaints that there are no new features in the Genoa's core. But keep in mind: if there are new features, it will probably require changes in plugins and skins.

Probably I was not clear in my previous post so I'll say it in other words: if there are people who want to continue developing the Genoa core, we'd be glad to delegate Genoa branch maintenance to them. The only requirement is that they should use the official Git repository to develop it and be careful with compatibility between releases.

Once again, we have no intention to cancel the Genoa branch. We even plan to release more Genoa plugins because we continue developing them for sites running Genoa and having no benefits to upgrade to Siena.

May the Source be with you!