Forums / Cotonti / General / Future Genoa

ez
#31993 2011-12-12 08:09

Gert and other devs,

There are few things you might consider..

A lot of members just converted (1 yr ago) to Genoa, and now another big change is on the way. And you basically say that Genoa is stopping.
This is at least, for me, not very motivating... (I wonder how many ppl are still on SED because of plugins they cannot convert?)

Cotonti is a really small community, and core developers are less then 5 (3 ?).
If you make the core and also other parts harder to read with all sorts off classes and OO code, new unexperienced developers will soon get
lost in the classes, I am a developer with 25 yrs experience, and believe me i have seen it all and done it all in a lot off languages (yes.. also OO).
Dont get me wrong here, OO is really a good concept !, but it can be hard to get.
That brings me to the reason WHY i am using Cotonti Genoa: I can follow every bit in the code without any knowledge (That's AWESOME).

Back to the developers part: If you want new ppl to start working on the core or plugins, make it easier.
Second thing: If the lives of the core devs change (kids, mariage, demanding job whatever) then impact will be great on Cotonti, so thats why
Cotonti needs new devs !!!

One example in the new features:
The database layer... i think i know the reason why devs put that in... to be more independant from the database we use.
So we can put in MS-SQL or something.  (At least thats what i can make up from reading a little bit about it).
I think this is strange, considering 99,5 % will use MySql anyway. WHY o WHY waste time on 0.5%... ?? (just to have a cool abstract layer.. ?? )

I think that Cotonti is better of if we have much more nice plugins / features, and good tutorials for new users.
And I truly believe that Cotonti is helped much more if the core changes are done much more gradual... and not those BIG bangs you are doing now.

Well big story.. but I truly believe this.. 

Conclusion:
Keep it simple and no BIG bangs.. and more front end things (cool plugs.. like good FB stuff).
And improvement of the core, can be done slowly.

It seems I started a discussion here, and these are just my thoughts... but I am asking everybody to participate in this discussion.

==- I say: Keep it EZ -==