Are you ready to switch to HTML parsing permanently?

83.3% 65
1.3% 1
15.4% 12

78 Date 2010-04-14 00:49

Forums / Cotonti / Development / Poll: A global switch to HTML parsing

Are you ready?

Kilandor
#24178 2010-04-18 00:24
Second, none of your examples is able to give me i.e. .4em paragraph spacing (like here). Its either extra line (ugly) or none (unreadable).

The examples can do that very thing. That is the one of the things I was trying to show you. They can be completely readable, even with extra lines. Without breaking the actual output formatting simply by having nl2br disabled.

BBcode has 0 effect on typography. Its purely nl2br. I can show you what you want with a .4em paragraph spacing or anything you want.

Each sample provided the sample text that was used in the outputs, before running it through any parsing.

Third, with html I can use any style declared in the skin css-file without messing with bbcode config

Yes you can do that perfectly fine, I just went for quick examples. My point was BBCode is NOT the issue with typography complaints. Its nl2br thats causing unexpected results.

I will update the demo with a section to insert whatever you want for page data, and have it parse (normal) and then without nl2br

Added 18 minutes later:

Ok its there and working. Just remember if you insert HTML that works off your CSS, incluse a link to your CSS file. And it still has to be formatted properly.

(This "Self Demo" will not be open to Regular members or guests)

Added 8 minutes later:

Anyways as I said before. We will include HTML support as people are wanting it. My only point is there is 0 reason to remove BBcode. It has no Ill effects. The big grief is clearly with nl2br which I can see and totaly agree for it to be an option to disable, and or auto-disabled with HTML parsing.

Admins will be able to choose what happens on their site with editors and what method they want.

If You chose a method that does not involve BBcode, Your database will not have 2 entries such as "page_text" and "page_html" You would only have data in (say for example) "page_html". Since yes it would be a waste of your resources to have it stored twice.
This post was edited by Kilandor (2010-04-18 00:52, 14 years ago)