Forums / Cotonti / Core Labs / Archive / CMF for Cotonti

Analysis, synthesis, discussion

Trustmaster
#23781 2010-03-26 15:29
I must say, rebuilding Cotonti on top of anything is not an option, it's a suicide.

Somehow, we need to keep the original idea and spirit of lightweight easy scripting. That's why the core must be minimalistic and procedural. But I find objects extremely useful for business logic (and model-driven applications), that's why I propose having (an optional) OO framework for rapid business-related module development (e.g. I use it to build project management software on top of Cotonti).

As for CMS/CMF decision, there is a class of systems which has both: Drupal, Silverstripe, MODx 2, etc. So, we are not forced to become either CMF (which is clueless, there are enough good solutions) or just a CMS (which would kill the spirit of unleashed customizability which we still have).

So far I see it like this: we'll continue improving our lower-level procedural APIs, making them more like a CMF, but quite minimalistic. For those who wish to write modules/plugins in a OO fasion, there will be an OO framework which lays perfrectly on our procedural underlayer. This optional OO overlay will be either our own, or some components (like ORM) will be reused from other projects (e.g. Kohana). But in general, I'd like to keep existing model which I call MVS (Model-View-Script!) rather than following the Rails MVC which the web has gone mad about.
May the Source be with you!