How do you like the idea?

94.7% 18
5.3% 1

19 Date 2009-06-29 01:49

Forums / Cotonti / Core Labs / Archive / Poll: Page validation enhancement

A small tweak that could be ultimate in most cases

tensh
#13560 2009-06-29 14:34
The pages can be visible in future's enhanced user control panel - the place where the user sees all his contributions, buddies and short summary of site's activity.
I think the user CP is such a standard part of any site that it should have a bit bigger attention paid to it: maybe being not a plugin, but an extendable module. Of course user CP is one thing, but user profile (the part that is seen outside) is another thing.

As for pages, validations, etc.
I don't know if it's already present (can't remember), but if either user or admin is in the process of editing a page, there should be a "lock" of this page from other editing. And then all possible solutions come...

Maybe a nice "Draft system"?
The user can create Drafts if only he has the rights to do so. In the process of creating a page, the user can save the page as Draft (and so it's not placed in Validation Queue) or Submit it for Validation. (the user can create a page from his CP and submit it in the category where he's allowed to). Admin would have the third option of bypassing the Validation Queue. The maximum number of stored drafts can be determined in settings (global or maybe per-category?) The drafts are visible in their CP (thus user CP needed).

The Draft can be then edited and Submitted for Validation or Stored as draft again. The user can copy drafts or delete them. User can also copy an already submitted and validated page as draft. The copied drafts become the page versions and can be compared.

Every process of editing of an already approved and published page results in either creating a temporary Draft or in locking this page for editing by any other user (depends on how complicated you want it to be). If the temporary Draft is chosen, then other users can also edit the same page, but their changes will be also saved as Drafts. The Drafts (or more: versions of the page) can be then compared.

This is much more complicated and didn't cover it all I suppose... so I'm more for page locked for editing when somebody else edits the page.

----

Also, what I really miss is the ability for user to create categories. Template logic blocks can determine the looks of the category "create page"... Also, the admin should be able to determine whether user is allowed to make only one category, or maybe more, and whether the categories can have children. In this way e.g. creating a blog plugin would be obsolete.