Forums / Cotonti / Core Labs / Archive / Starting modulation

GHengeveld
#13467 2009-06-26 00:07
I think your proposal is very good. The lang is good as well. The alternative is not so good imo, because it would require you to remove a separate file from /lang if you remove a plugin, instead of just removing the entire plugin folder. Also it will make installing the plugin slightly easier, as you can just upload a single folder to the plugins/modules dir and you're good to go.

Personally though, I feel there should be a difference between modules and plugins. It will not only make the transition less complicated (because you can keep the current plugins dir and you only have to move /system/core to /modules), but you will also keep the modules dir from cluttering. I personally think the line between modules and plugins should be drawn where there is a need for standalone page. For example, forums is a module because it has its own page(s), while recentitems is a plugin because it is only displayed as part of a bigger page (usually header or index), and thus does not use a standalone page.

I suggest the following structure:

datas
  • html (is this used ?)
  • photos
  • thumbs
  • tmp
  • files (replaces users)
lang
  • en
  • nl
modules
  • admin
  • index
  • forums
  • pfs
  • pm
plugins
  • recentpages
  • bdcards
  • cleaner
  • news
  • forumstats
skins
  • sed_light
    -   lang
    -   styles
system
This post was edited by Koradhil (2009-06-26 00:27, 14 years ago)