How deep the changes in the API should be?

14.8% 18
13.9% 17
13.9% 17
57.4% 70

122 Date 2009-04-20 03:09

Forums / Cotonti / Core Labs / Archive / Poll: Plugin API changes

How far can we go?

Trustmaster
#11714 2009-04-22 12:26
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. I agree on most points mentioned above. Here I comment those need commenting.

urlkiller:
i think a more developer friendly sql install should considerd as well as maybe upload packed plugins that get unpacked by the system. would make it far more manageble for the users after.
# yeah, upload a rared archive and the system installs. no ftp crap anymore.

# update function O_o cool would be if you had an external api connection where a file is checked if the installed version is still up to date. if the server is allowed he downloads the new file from server, if he's not allowed he simple announces that a new version is available. this would be very very helpfull in support and bugfixing because everyone would have the latest version. of course this would be a optional feature for very huge plugins. (iam talking here about how hard it was to keep track on every single usergal release.)
Live update isn't very hard implementing. The only reason that makes me feel skeptic about it is security. For this you need to make files writable for PHP. It drops security level by nearly 30%, considering how many hacks were done using TPL Editor plugin and such.

urlkiller:
# while working a lot with ajax its bad that always the whole page gets loaded. would it be possible to have special plugin functions for a second db conection for ajax content? or more like a build in ajax query on the db. where you can execute, edit, add entries?
Take a look at AJAX parts in plugins and a markitup example.

urlkiller:
# google apis java librarys!! can be defined in config and get's properly installed in <head>
i know jquery is there for me, but sometimes the jquery misses some of the kick other libs have...
No need to enable support for every single JS library available on the net. You can switch jQuery off in Admin. We should also implement a compatibility mode option.

Orkan:
Anyway, I just wonder how you'll gonna implement event registering and broadcasting system without OOP?
Do you have any rough ideas to share at this stage?
Don't forget, OOP has procedural code inside. And event handling is done with callbacks.

Orkan:
I like your "collected suggestions" very much. The 8. SQL query hooks could be done in arrays, I have similar idea already implemented in one of my private projects.
Could you post your snippet in pastebin?

Once more, I agree on most of the other points. And our aim is to make plugin development as easy, flexible and clear as possible.

As for interconnection APIs via SOAP, XML-RPC, etc... First we make our internal API, then it will be easier to export some of it to the outer world.
May the Source be with you!