Forums / Cotonti / Extensions / [RELEASE] Cotonti Awesome mod_rewrite URL System

Lombi
#11223 2009-04-08 23:39
# KillerSneak : So what exactly does this URL re-writing do? I still don't get it. If this is/was so important for site stats and search / rankings why wasn't this in the Cotonti release in the first place?

I tought "NO CORE HACKS WILL BE DONE FOR COTONTI" was one of the supposed "GREAT" features? So then why do you release this on the forums? Seems like you're having public beta testing this way (Like nVidia and their "great" drivers) if you have 280 Domains of yourself (seriously doubt that) why even bother releasing beta's outside of your own beta testers/team when the intention is to get this function into a later cotonti release.

Heh, I had this long reply to this post written but when I pressed reply it logged me out (and i lost the reply).

Here we go again...

So what exactly does this URL re-writing do?

It rewrites pages,forum topics and categories. It creates pages with URL structures that rank higher in SERPs. This was tested and confirmed very true (same content on different cotonti installations, one with and one without, with no differing external factors - one heavily outranks the other)

I still don't get it. If this is/was so important for site stats and search / rankings why wasn't this in the Cotonti release in the first place?

It is. All the cotonti URLs are sent trough a sed_url function which creates the URL. At the moment it's replicating the old Seditio URLs, but after all of it is completed it will look like whatever you wish.

I tought "NO CORE HACKS WILL BE DONE FOR COTONTI" was one of the supposed "GREAT" features?

It is. There are more hooks then ever before. But there are functions that cannot be "pluginized" since the entire core uses them.

So then why do you release this on the forums? Seems like you're having public beta testing this way (Like nVidia and their "great" drivers)

This system has been running fine for over two years - now it's been updated for cotonti's url function.

if you have 280 Domains of yourself (seriously doubt that)

Do a reverse report on the nameservers on both servers. If you have time, go trough all domains to check if they're powered by cotonti. They are. But if you want you can doublecheck.

why even bother releasing beta's outside of your own beta testers/team

Having an actual working code to rewrite URLs using the new system was one of the more requested things around here. So it got released before it got implemented.

If you're an early adopter, go ahead and use it. If not, don't. Noone will notice.
<a href="http://www.domenlo.com">Surreal Art</a>