Foren / Craftwork / Server-side / merge the data base...

i'd like to know your opinion about this...

Trustmaster
#32695 16. Januar 2012, 19:02

I doubt there is some software that can do it out of the box, so it's gonna be some tedious hours in front of phpMyAdmin.

The most problematic subjects are gonna be permissions (sed_auth table), plugins and primary keys (IDs) everywhere. If you make it so that sed_groups tables are identical on both sites (including the IDs, including group IDs in sed_groups_users table as well), permissions gonna be easier. Then you need to change user IDs in all tables in one of the sites so that they don't overlap with the user IDs from the other site, after that you'll be able to merge users and set auto_increment counter to something bigger than maximal id you get. Then it's gonna be a similar procedure for forums: make sure they have same structure including section IDs, then shift IDs in topics and posts of one of the databases and add them to the other.

After structure and users of the both sites are merged like that and both databases contain same sets of installed plugins, sed_auth table can be merged.

I may sound quite inconsistent, but it's really a big quest to give you a definitive guide in one shot.

May the Source be with you!